The History of the Missionary Society at Our Church
In the year of 1958 and under the leadership of the pastor, Rev. F. H. Martin, the first Missionary was organized. Sis. Almeater D. Moody was elected as the first President. Other officers elected were Sis. Bernice Washington; Vice President, Sis. Lessie Odom; Secretary, and Sis. Bertha Odom, Treasurer. The first Sunday in October was designated as our annual Women’s Day Program. The ladies of the Society worked hard in the church and the community. Under the leadership of Sis Moody, two Missionary circles were formed so that we could better serve the communities of Bamberg, Denmark and the surrounding areas. Sis. Almeater Moody worked diligently until 1971 when God called her from labor to reward.
The newly elected officers were President, Sis. Ethel Nimmons; V.Pres, Sis. Rosa Johnson, Secretary, Sis. Sandra Walker and Treasurer, Sis. Girdia Bolden. Sis. Nimmons served in the position of president for six years before resigning. Sis. Mary Williams was then elected president. She served for four years. Under that same administration, Sis. Verseater Moore served as V. Pres, Sis. Barbara Johnson was the secretary. Sis. Merlinda Wallace was the assistant Secretary and Sis. Ethel Nimmons served as the treasurer.
The next slate of officers included Sis. Deloris Chatman, president; Merlinda Wallace, V president; Sis. Paula Whetstone, secretary and Sis. Eartha Gilbert, Trea.
The Capernaum Missionary Society is a member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Bethlehem Baptist Association and the Missionary Union of the BTU Convention.